What are the plans for the winter 2021 term?

York University’s Senate Executive Committee approved the extension of the Principles to Guide Fall/Winter Graduate and Undergraduate Course Planning to the Summer 2021 term.

This means that the same approach to course delivery approved for the upcoming Winter term will also apply to the Summer 2021 term.

What is the University doing to make sure York’s campuses are safe as possible during a phased return?

York is guided by public health and government directives as well as coordination within the university sector in Ontario. Given York’s unique environment and challenges, our plan will serve the entire community, including all faculties, programs, and campuses. To help ensure a safe environment where everyone can feel comfortable returning to campus, the following procedures are being implemented:

  • Physical distancing procedures for classrooms (which will be re-arranged), shared offices, libraries, research and teaching labs and other spaces.
  • Signage that encourages and instructs everyone to practice physical distancing and proper hand hygiene
  • Signs indicating maximum occupancy in rooms and elevators.
  • Frequent cleaning and disinfecting in high traffic areas in keeping with guidelines from Public Health Ontario.
  • New sanitizer dispensers will be installed across both campuses.
  • Protective measures such as Plexiglass barriers and sneeze guards will be installed in high traffic areas where maintaining physical distancing is not possible.

Non-medical fabric mouth and nose covers will be available to students, faculty and staff who are required to be on campus, to be used when physical distancing is not possible. The Public Health Agency of Canada has advised that when worn properly, a person wearing a non-medical mouth and nose coverings can reduce the spread of their own respiratory droplets.  Where are non-medial mouth and nose covers required?

 As of July 9, the wearing of non-medical mouth and nose coverings is mandatory where maintaining two-metre physical distancing is not possible or predictable in common and shared spaces within buildings on both the Keele and Glendon campuses. These spaces include, but are not limited to, academic buildings including classrooms, administrative buildings, meeting rooms, common areas in all residences, washrooms, corridors, and elevators.

As an indoor mall, the requirements associated with the bylaw were implemented at York Lanes, effective July 7.

Who is eligible to receive non-medical mouth and nose covers?

York University will provide two non-medical mouth and nose coverings to York University community members who are currently required to be physically present to work on campus or who are living in residence on campus. Signs will be posted at the entrances to all buildings reminding community members of the need to wear their non-medical mouth and nose covering while indoors.

Will York be screening those who are already on campus as well as those who are returning?

To protect York’s community members from exposure to COVID-19, the University will be implementing both passive and active screening processes.

For example:

  • Passive screening: includes notices and instructions on the website and posted signage.
  • Active screening: is screening which is done through a form of outreach and includes communicating the screening requirements and screening checklist directly to individuals.

Additional information can be found at:


Please go here for the screening checklist.

If I live in residence, will I need to wear a face covering?

York has adopted the latest recommendations from the Public Health Agency of Canada and requires the wearing of three-layer face coverings in all indoor public spaces on campus, and outdoors when physical distancing of two metres cannot be obtained. Indoor public spaces include, but are not limited to meeting rooms, common areas in all residences, laundry facilities, washrooms, corridors and elevators.

If you’re in the Undergrad Residences, the York Apartments or the Quad, information about how to obtain a York-issued non-medical face covering was emailed to you.

How can I receive my non-medical face covering from York, and how do I take care of it?

If you lived in a York Undergraduate Residence, York Apartment or the Quad in September 2020 and received a face covering in September or later, three-layer non-medical face coverings were issued to you. If you received York-issued face coverings prior to September 2020 they were two-layer coverings.

Three-layer face coverings are again available to students required to be on campus, and those students have received an email with instructions on how to get theirs.

The three-layer face covering packages include instructions for wearing and caring for (including laundering) your non-medical face covering.

What if I do not want to return to campus because I am concerned for my health and safety?

York has joined all other GTA Universities and many large organizations in supporting the City of Toronto’s request to continuing remote work until at least fall 2020.

This means that for most of our community, work will continue in the same way it has since March 20, 2020. However, there are some activities that will require staff to return to campus to support the phased return to campus this summer.

Staff are encouraged to speak with their manager if they have any concerns regarding their return to campus. Health and safety considerations are our utmost priority to ensure that all members of the York community remain well. Requests for medical accommodation are can be made through the Employee Well-Being office https://mhw.info.yorku.ca/organization/employee-well-being-office/. Requests for family accommodation can be made through the Centre for Human Rights, Equity and Inclusion https://rights.info.yorku.ca/.

Libraries and University Operations

Will the libraries re-open?

Throughout the pandemic York University Libraries continue to offer online and other remote services to ensure students have access to important learning materials and to support faculty. The Libraries are still available to answer your questions in many different ways including by chat, Zoom, and email. For information on how to connect with the Libraries and all other aspects of services and resources currently available please consult the Library Services During COVID-19 Guide: https://researchguides.library.yorku.ca/covid19services/

How can I borrow a book and pick it up?

To expand access to content not available online, a comprehensive plan to safely implement “curbside pickup” of library materials and services to increase digital content is anticipated to start by June 29, 2020. Please visit https://researchguides.library.yorku.ca/covid19services/curbside for more detailed information.

What parking arrangements should I make if I’m driving to campus?

Parking is temporarily being provided on a complimentary basis on the Keele and Glendon campuses.  Community members must park in a valid parking space to avoid receiving a municipal ticket. Parking & Transportation Services is developing plans for the eventual return to paid parking on campus.  Visit https://parking.info.yorku.ca/ for more information.

What transportation services are operating?

Community members should check with public transit agencies to verify current routes and schedules as changes have occurred over the last number of weeks. Transportation Services will update transit agencies servicing the University about on-campus activity levels as this evolves.

Campus shuttle services are not currently operating. Parking & Transportation Services is developing plans for the resumption of services that may be required as on-campus activity evolves.

Are food outlets open?

Please visit the Food Services web site at yorku.ca/food for a current list of food outlets that are open and their hours of operation. In accordance with current Toronto Public Health requirements, food outlets that are open are operating on a take-out only basis.

How can I get my YU-card?

If you are currently only taking online classes or are working remotely, you do not require a YU-card at this time. If you are attending campus for work or classes and require a YU-card either for door access or for meal plans, new/replacement YU-cards are being issued by appointment only at the YU-card Office in 200 William Small Centre. Please visit yorku.ca/yucard for details.

My YU-card is expiring. Do I need to replace it?

All YU-cards with expiration dates between April-May 2020 are being automatically extended on a monthly basis in the YU-card system to ensure continuity of services for cardholders. You do not need to obtain a new card at this time.

Is the Bookstore open?

The Bookstore is open in the cloud for online orders only at this time and is currently providing free shipping across Canada. Please visit https://www.bookstore.yorku.ca/ for current updates and to shop online for course materials and York apparel. The Bookstore also provides digital textbook options for many courses.

How is campus mail being processed?

Inbound and outbound mail is being processed by Mailing Services, on a pick-up/drop-off basis on the Keele and Glendon campuses. For details on services, locations and hours of operation please visit https://ancillary.info.yorku.ca/business-operations/mailing-services/ for more information.

If I need some IT support, where do I go?

Please visit https://computing.yorku.ca/returningtocampus/ for information regarding IT support at York.

Is the University laying off staff?

The University has not announced any layoffs at this time. Layoffs would occur in accordance with the terms of the collective agreement. Redeployment has been considered by the University and management is working through a process of understanding which of their staff could benefit from taking vacation, participating in training, or supporting other areas.

Will you lower tuition?

We acknowledge the difficulty the current circumstances are causing students and the stress that is caused by not being able to come together physically as a community to learn, to teach, and to conduct our research. Library and IT supports continue to be available virtually and we are committed to ensuring access to those supports for students, faculty, all instructors, and staff. While tuition itself remains consistent, some supplementary fees have been reduced to reflect current circumstances. We will reconvene in person as soon as it's safe to do so.

Can I borrow books from the Libraries at the current time?

Since June 30th, 2020, York University Libraries have been offering curbside pickup for print books from the Scott Library's circulating collection to faculty and graduate students. Full information about this service is available via the Curbside Pickup Service section of the Library Services During COVID-19 LibGuide. An expansion to encompass retrieval from the Bronfman, Frost and Steacie Library collections for pickup at the Scott Library will take place by the week of August 17th, 2020.

How do I return a borrowed book when in-person library services are suspended?

Starting August 4th, you canreturn library materials (except for RACER items) on the Keele campus. Returning library materials is not expected and fines will not accrue for late or missing items. The bin is located outside of the Security Services Office entrance at the William Small Centre (155 Campus Walk). The parking lot closest to the drop-off bin is the Arboretum Parking Garage. Parking is currently free at YorkU. It may take up to two weeks for discharged items to be removed from your library account due to quarantine procedures.

I need to pick up some belongings in my workspace. How can I do that?

York University has expanded the criteria to access on-campus workspaces.

Staff can request one–time access to workspaces to collect belongings or office supplies. Access requests can now be made through this online request form https://campusaccess.yorku.ca/

Back to top

Current Students

Will Winter 2021 courses be online or in person?

For the Winter 2021 term, the University will continue the same fundamental approach to course delivery as it did in the Fall. This means that most undergraduate and graduate courses will be offered through online / remote delivery. Where remote learning is not well-suited to accommodate course components, such as labs, studios or small graduate classes, York will make best efforts to accommodate requests for in-person instruction.

What is the difference between an online course and a remote course?

Courses offered as online (designated as ONLN) have no specified meeting times. You may also see these courses referred to as “asynchronous”.

All other courses, designated as blended (BLEN), lecture (LECT) or seminar (SEMR) will be offered remotely. That means they will have some scheduled, synchronized meeting times. You may also see these courses referred to as “synchronous” or “remote”. Corresponding Labs (LAB) and Tutorials (TUTR) for remote courses will also be offered remotely.

A small number of courses will have in-person components that require you to attend in-person for completion.

How will I know if any of my courses have in-person components?

There are only a small number of courses that have an in-person component for the Fall/Winter 2020-2021 Session. You should assume that your courses are completely online and/or remote unless you either:

  1. See a notation otherwise in the course description on the York Courses website; or are
  2. Informed by your course instructor (by email or on the course Moodle website) that a specific course has an in-person component.

You can view the current list of the identified in-person courses.  The list is subject to change per public health requirements.

How do I know what courses I should take?

If you are in a program with access to the Degree Progress Report, you should check that to see what courses you still need to take to complete your degree. If you are unsure about what courses to take, or have questions about your degree progress, you can contact your Faculty Advising Office.

How do I enrol in courses?

For Winter 2021 courses, you can enrol through your Faculty. The online Enrolment & Registration Guide provides information about choosing your courses, planning your class schedule and adding, dropping and exchanging courses. For information on how to enrol in courses and to see University 101 resources, visit YU START.

What happens if I start a class online and then the campus opens for in-person classes?

If you start a class online/remotely, and later in the term or the academic year classes move on-campus, you will be able to complete your course(s) online/remotely. This applied to fall (F) courses, and continues to apply winter (W) and full-year (Y) courses. Courses with optional in person components should also have a fully remote version that allows students to complete course requirements that way if they need to. Wherever a course can be delivered remotely in its entirety, instructors will have the choice to do so.

What if I cannot attend an in-person class in the Winter?

We recognize that some students may not be available to attend campuses in the Winter. Students will be informed in advance of the start of the course if there are any required in-person components, and what flexibility they will have to fulfill those requirements over the term. Some students may prefer to delay such courses until a subsequent term.

With courses continuing online and remotely, will there be a Pass/Fail grade option as there was at the end of last winter’s term?

Students who meet the eligibility requirements for the Pass/Fail (ungraded) option may submit a Pass/Fail request for Fall/Winter 2020-2021 courses as per the usual process.

The temporary adjustment to Pass/Fail eligibility requirements for the past Winter 2020 term was in response to the extraordinary circumstances faced by students as they faced the unique challenge of having to adjust to online learning overnight. Regular Pass/Fail eligibility requirements are now back in place.

Please review the Pass/Fail Option web page for detailed information.

What in-person services are available?

In addition to courses being delivered online or remotely, most student services will also be provided online or remotely. Online service typically means self-serve options, while remote service may include one-to-one service by phone, chat, online meeting platform (i.e. Zoom) or email.
Visit My Online Services for resources and ways to connect with the services you need for your academic success and mental and physical wellbeing.

Some limited on-campus services, including food services, will be available to students who are required to be on campus either because they are living in residence on campus or are in one of the small number of courses with in-person components or engaged in research requiring in-person attendance.

Are any of the athletics & recreation programs being offered on campus?

Athletics & Recreation may offer limited programming to students who are living in Residence or who are attending in-person classes on campus in alignment with Public Health guidelines. A variety of online personal training, drop-in classes and MUV fitness sessions are available for all students. Visit the York U Lions Campus Recreation web page for the schedule and online registration.

Can I use York Libraries?

York’s Libraries are currently offering mainly online and other remote services to ensure students have access to important learning materials as well as research guidance and assignment support. Librarians are available to answer your in many ways including by chat, zoom and email. You can request books from the circulating book collections at most York U Libraries using the curbside pickup service with a contactless process.

In addition, the Libraries are offering limited study spaces. Note that you will need to book a seat or study space before you visit, and you must adhere to public health guidelines and institutional mandates as outlined on the Libraries’ website. For more information, and to book your seat or study space, visit the Library Services During COVID-19: Study Space web page. You can also consult the Library Services During COVID-19 guide for more information.

Can I access York buildings? Are York buildings open?

Many York University buildings are closed, and you should consider carefully if you need to come onto campus.
Campus services that are open include:

  • A small number of classrooms and labs for those students who are taking in-person classes.
  • A limited study spaces available at the Library. For more information, and to book your seat or study space, visit the Library Services During COVID-19: Study Space web page (https://researchguides.library.yorku.ca/covid19services/studyspace).
  • Athletics and Recreation. Limited programming to students who are living in Residence or who are attending in-person classes on campus may be available in alignment with Public Health guidelines.
  • Food services. Food services are open on campus, and students living on the Keele Campus will have access to both Stong and Winters dining halls, as well as some of the other retail outlets that will be open on campus, though indoor dining will be available only when Public Health guidelines permit it.
  • York Lanes. Some retailers and services at York Lanes are open. See the York Lanes COVID-19 updates page to see what is open or closed.

Are student clubs operating?

Student clubs and organizations have moved their activities online where possible. You can search for clubs and organizations using YU Connect [https://yorku.campuslabs.ca/engage/] and get online event details from specific clubs.

Will any varsity athletics teams be training or competing?

There will be no sanctioned OUA or U Sports competitions up to and including December 31, 2020.

Student-athletes will be encouraged to train and opportunities for structured team training will be coordinated through the department under provincial health guidelines.

A decision regarding the opportunity to engage in Winter 2021 competition will be made by the board of the OUA in the late fall.

How do I contact services and supports that are available online/remotely only?

Websites for student services and support will include ways of contacting them, and My Online Services also has a list of resources and online/remote contact information for various services.

How do I access mental health and wellness support?

Mental health and wellness support, including Student Counselling & Development and Student Accessibility Services, are available to serve you online and remotely. Visit My Online Services to see the range of contact options (such as email, telephone, online, live chat and video appointments) available to support you.

Glendon’s Accessibility, Well-Being and Counselling services are also available to support you by phone.

The Faculty of Graduate Studies GradConnect Wellness Services is available by phone and videoconferencing options.

The Office of Student Community Relations (OSCR) can be reached by telephone and email and will continue to provide services to students in residence as well as off campus.

Can I still apply for financial aid if all my courses are online? Are there any changes to the process?

The process for applying for financial aid has not changed because it is primarily an online/remote process.

Make sure you complete the Student Financial Profile so that you will be considered for any automatic financial aid support including scholarships, awards and bursaries.

Are there still be Work/Study opportunities for students?

Work/Study opportunities for domestic and international students for Winter 2021 will be posted late fall. Postings will be for positions that can be fulfilled through work-from-home arrangements. Visit the Work/Study Programs website for description of general Work/Stud; Leadership, Engagement and Ambassadorship (LEAP); and Research at York (RAY) positions, eligibility criteria and information on how to apply for these positions.

Make sure you complete your Student Financial Profile so your applications for Work/Study, LEAP and RAY positions can be considered.

Are there any online events for students to participate in?

Yes! There a lots of online activities and events to support your academic success, career readiness, physical and mental wellbeing and to keep you connected and entertained. Visit this York Events calendar to see what’s happening!

There is also a calendar of events specific to international students on the York International Events Calendar.

Is it safe for me to return to campus this winter?

The safety of our community members remains our top priority, and we continue to work closely with the government and public health authorities to ensure that we are adhering to whatever guidelines are established for any potential on-campus activities. We encourage you to carefully consider whether you need to come to campus and refer to updates on the YU Better Together website for the latest safety protocols.

Our path to a return to campus plan continues to be guided by public health and government directives as well as coordinated with the university sector in Ontario and Canada, to help ensure that the University’s mission of high-quality teaching, research and learning can be successfully supported and implemented while operating in an emergency mode.

Our commitment to the entire York community is that we will not begin any of our return to campus activities until we are permitted to do so and the necessary health and safety measures are in place so that our community members continue to be protected.

Learn more about York University’s safety protocols.

If I visit campus, do I have to wear a face covering?

In accordance with public health guidelines to help us all remain safe, anyone entering an indoor space on York University property, including all campuses, work sites and satellite offices must wear a three-layer face covering that covers their mouth, nose and chin completely for the entire duration of their indoor stay, unless an exemption applies. If you need a face covering, you may obtain one from York at the YU-card Office, using the Virtual Line tool before coming. Select “YU-card Office” in the virtual line.

What do I need to do in order to come to campus?

Before you come to campus, you’ll need to complete the COVID-19 Screening Checklist each time you come to campus; and obtain your YU-card. Your YU-card is not only your official York U photo identification, but you’ll need to use your YU-card to enter any campus buildings you have been approved to access. To obtain your YU-card, use the Virtual Line tool before coming to the YU-card Office. Select "YU-card Pickup Services".

Back to top

New Students

Will I be able to participate in the YU START program?

You can access YU START’s York 101 module, including a series of videos designed to help you prepare for your first week of classes, to get a feel for what your start of term will look like, learn how to navigate eClass and Zoom, and find online learning resources.

How do I enroll in and start my courses?

Your Faculty will advise you on how to enrol in Winter term courses, and your course syllabus should provide you with information about how to log in to and begin your classes.

Back to top

Transfer Students

I am transferring to York University from another post-secondary institution. Where can I find support for my transition to York?

If you are a student transferring from a college or university, you will be provided with academic advising through your Faculty to support your transition to York. Visit MyFile for more information. Additionally, the Transfer Pathways web page has some helpful information on transferring to York.

Back to top

Future Students

Can I still apply for admission to York University?

York’s admissions team is accepting and processing applications and making offers of admission for Summer 2021 and Fall 2021. Undergraduate application deadlines are available on the Admissions Deadlines web page. For graduate program admission deadlines visit the Faculty of Graduate Studies Programs website.

We understand that some students require additional flexibility to meet deadlines as a result of disruptions to schooling or exams due to COVID-19. York is committed to working with any students who may need extra time in order to complete their application.

Can online courses taken in high school or at other postsecondary institutions still be considered for transfer credit?

Yes. Any high school or postsecondary courses that were eligible for transfer credit before classes moved online due to COVID-19 will continue to be eligible and assessed for transfer credit.

Where can I find more information about admission to York?

Visit the undergraduate students York University Admissions FAQ web page for more information about applications, offers of admission, important dates and document submission as well as information for students coming directly from high-school, students transferring to York from colleges or other universities and international students.

For graduate program admissions information visit the Faculty of Graduate Studies Prospective Students website.

Back to top

International Students

What do I need to do when I arrive in Canada? Do I need to quarantine?

For instructions on arriving in Canada and quarantine requirements, visit York International’s COVID-19 FAQs page or get in touch with York International. For more information on Canada’s travel requirements for international students, visit the Government of Canada’s Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): International Students website.

I’m an international student. Where can I find information about immigration, travel, health & safety, courses and programs and student support?

For the latest information for international students and updates about COVID-19 and York University, visit York International’s website.

I am enrolled in a course that requires students to be online at a certain time. What consideration will be given to international students in different time zones?

Your course instructor will inform you in advance of the start of your course about what flexibility may be available to help you fulfill your course requirements in different time zones.

I require some English as a Second Language (ESL) support. How will I get it?

All ESL courses will be delivered online at their scheduled times, including both real-time class meetings using Zoom (synchronous) and self-directed online learning using eClass (asynchronous). If you are unable to meet during the scheduled class time you will be able to access video recordings of class lectures.

Back to top

Graduate Students

I’m a graduate student. Where do I find more information about financial and academic resources, graduate wellness research and degree completion?

For information about COVID-19’s impact on resources, academics and research, and other functions of the Faculty of Graduate studies, visit the Faculty of Graduate Studies website.

Back to top

Glendon Students

Back to top


When will research start to ramp-up?

On June 29, in compliance with public health directives and following institutional principles and guidelines, we started to gradually re-open research labs that were closed due to the pandemic. The University began opening research spaces to faculty members who had graduate students near completion, and who had other deadline driven or seasonal research. The University opened additional research spaces beginning the week of August 17 to support post docs nearing the end of funding, researchers with imminent grant or publication deadlines, and early career researchers whose work cannot continue remotely. The phased return to on-campus research activities is continuing as part of the Ramping Up Research recovery plan

The required essential staff to support these research activities will also be returning to work on campus. Visit research process and procedures for details.

What if my research involves face to face contact with people?

Research with human participants can continue, however, due to the current COVID-19 outbreak and the possible risk of exposure for in-person contact associated with research activities, researchers should have a compelling reason why in-person interactions with participants need to occur or continue.

For studies where there are no options to in-person interactions, researchers are advised that they must follow current public health guidelines including, but not limited to, appropriate physical distancing of at least 2 metres and nose and mouth coverings, and, where necessary, full PPE during all interactions.

My research involves in person interaction with human participants, what should I do?

Researchers can delay their research until such time that the physical distancing requirements have been lifted or can modify their research activities to use alternatives to in person contact. Researchers should use skype, zoom, phone for example to conduct their research wherever possible.

Back to top


Where can I find one-on-one support?

One-on-one assistance is available through the Teaching Commons virtual drop-in hours, 10 am – 3 pm Monday to Friday: https://yorku.zoom.us/j/7467955013. For discipline-specific guidance, each Faculty has identified a dedicated liaison educational developer as a first point of contact with the Teaching Commons, in addition to identifying an in-house contact. For a full list of supports please see: https://bold.info.yorku.ca/support/

Learning Technology Services (LTS) offers virtual drop-in sessions daily (Monday-Friday). More information, including specific hours for each day and a link to the Zoom office hours room, can be found at https://lthelp.yorku.ca/learn-more/virtual-drop-in-hours

York University Libraries chat and Zoom consultation information can be found at: https://researchguides.library.yorku.ca/covid19services/chat

Where can my Teaching Assistants get help?

The list of contacts and support services developed for TAs, can be found at https://bold.info.yorku.ca/support/

What does the Teaching Commons offer in support of remote/on-line teaching?

To support the transition to remote/online teaching and learning, the Teaching Commons has developed the Going Remote website, offering 9 self-directed modules including suggestions and resources about course organization, content, and assessment. Interactive professional development programs also are available. Details can be found at: https://teachingcommons.yorku.ca/courses-certificate-programs/

As part of the Teaching Commons’ support for remote/online teaching, they offer a weekly webinar series featuring York faculty members with experience in online/remote teaching and learning who share their expertise and answer questions. The list of offerings can be found at: https://teachingcommons.yorku.ca/calendar/action~agenda/request_format~json/cat_ids~100/

Where can I access technical support for teaching remotely/online?

Learning Technology Services (LTS) is a unit within University Information Technology (UIT) dedicated to supporting instructors and teaching assistants in making the best use of online learning technologies within their course through consultation, training and a collection of resources.

LTS provides a range of support services on using Moodle for course presentation, communication, collaboration and assessment. Additionally, a number of tools have been integrated into Moodle to provide instructors with a seamless teaching and learning experience, such as Techsmith Relay for lecture recording, Zoom for videoconferencing, iClicker for student engagement, Turnitin and Crowdmark for assessment, and Proctortrack for exam proctoring.

Get started at Learning Technologies Help Centre: http://lthelp.yorku.ca

There are also a large variety of computing services and facilities that aid teaching and research at York. There are course and teaching aids, technologies for classrooms and labs, information systems about students, testing and evaluation guidance, and consulting services for research needs. For more details, see: https://staff.computing.yorku.ca/teaching-research-computing/

Can I get help recording my lectures?

York University offers lecture recording resources to faculty and instructors for use in enhancing and supplementing their teaching. Information about and booking request forms for on campus lecture recordings can be found at: https://uit.yorku.ca/faculty-staff-services/teaching-research-computing/lecture-recording-york/

How do I use Zoom?

Zoom at YorkU unifies cloud video conferencing for simple meetings, study groups and online learning into one easy-to-use platform. For details, please see: https://yorku.zoom.us/

How can I access Library resources?

York University Libraries (YUL) is continuing to provide research guidance and assignment development consultations to students and faculty through Zoom, email, and other modes of online communications. If you are teaching in the summer or fall terms, we encourage you to reach out to our Content Development and Analysis Department (yul_cda@yorku.ca) for guidance on online materials for course readings. For more about our services, please consult: https://researchguides.library.yorku.ca/covid19services/. Please also see our information about Course Reserves.

Librarians and archivists are available to teach a range of online classes from assignment-based research resources to digital literacy and research data management planning. Please contact us to organize a class tailored to your course and curricular needs: https://researchguides.library.yorku.ca/covid19services/libraryclasses. See also Teaching online site.

As we approach the Fall term, YUL is developing a comprehensive plan to safely restore in phases on-site library services and operations paused during the pandemic. Stay tuned for regular updates via the Libraries website.

Where can I find information about proctored exams?

Proctortrack software will be accessible to York instructors for the Summer 2020 and Fall 2020 academic terms. Proctortrack is available for courses that have final exams during the designated exam periods in S1, S2, SU and FA of 2020 and for courses that have professional accreditation requirements for proctored tests or exams.

Please note that Senate Executive has approved changes to the core required information that must be included in course outlines to disclose to students if the evaluation scheme includes an online proctored exam (https://secretariat.info.yorku.ca/files/May-6-Communication.pdf?x39162). The link for instructors to insert into their course description is https://registrar.yorku.ca/online-exams.

For assistance with Proctortrack and set up in Moodle or your local LMS, please contact your local technical support unit.

Learn more about Proctortrack here: https://bold.info.yorku.ca/remoteproctoring/

How can I protect copyright and intellectual property when posting materials online?

York University’s Copyright Office provides information for instructors on course syllabi and materials.

The Teaching Commons provides some additional resources and best practices around  protecting Intellectual Property: https://bold.info.yorku.ca/protecting-your-intellectual-property/

Are instructors responsible for enforcing public health guidelines and York protocols?

The York University administration is responsible for conducting health screening, enforcing and communicating health and safety protocols, including the wearing of non-medical face coverings. Instructors should not inquire about the personal health information of any York community member. If questions are received, students can be directed to the appropriate University department, this website or to review their email communications.

Where do I request access to campus?

I don’t have an office on campus. What space can I use to deliver my classes?

Instructors can request access to a technologically equipped classroom at the Keele campus for lecture recording: https://uit.yorku.ca/faculty-staff-services/teaching-research-computing/lecture-recording-york/

If I already have campus access for research, do I need to submit a separate request to use my office?

Yes, please submit an additional request so that we have a complete inventory and schedule of the spaces being used on campus for the purposed of density mapping, cleaning schedules, and building security needs. https://campusaccess.yorku.ca/

If approved to use my office for teaching, can I host an individual student or small classes in my office?

No. Only those instructors approved for in-person teaching for Fall 2020 may meet with students in-person in designated teaching spaces.

Back to top

International Travel

What is York’s current guidance with regard to travel?

The University has made the difficult decision to cancel or postpone all University-sponsored or sanctioned international mobility programs for the Fall term for outgoing and incoming students. The University has weighed numerous considerations in arriving at this decision, such as international health insurance coverage for York affiliates, international travel restrictions, the emergence of a second-wave of COVID-19, and the overall impact of international travel on student and employee physical safety, mental and physical health, and academic success.

What information can you provide for research related travel for Graduate Students?

All research-related international travel and related activities for graduate students, and travel related to academic program completion will be assessed on a case-by-case basis as travel advisories begin to lift. The University understands and appreciates research and fieldwork as a crucial piece of the graduate student progression and having a process in place for essential international research will help facilitate when the travel advisories begin to lift. Graduate students can work with their supervisor, and the Dean’s Office to develop a health and safety plan should travel restrictions ease during this period.

What did York consider before issuing these directives?

The current assessment takes into consideration Global Affairs Canada travel advisories to the region, local advisories, availability of insurance, familiarity with region and an added element will the essential nature of this research. Please contact goglobal@yorku.ca for more information.

What are the current travel directives for Faculty, Researchers, Post-Doctoral Fellows and Instructors?

The University continues to encourage the York Community to follow the Government of Canada’s travel advisory to avoid all non-essential travel. We recognize international collaboration, fieldwork and conference participation are fundamental to the research and scholarship mission. As travel advisories begin to lift, York International and Risk Management can work with you to provide guidance related to risk mitigation, insurance related to international travel. For more information, please contact Vinitha Gengatharan at York International.

What is York’s directive regarding University-related Business Travel?

The previous guidance issued on April 14th, 2020, which states that all University-related business travel outside of Canada is cancelled/postponed until August 31st, 2020 remains in effect until further notice. As international travel advisories begin to lift, this guidance will be re-assessed, and additional information will be provided.

I am a traveler arriving to Canada and to campus, what should I do?

The Government of Canada’s has put in place an emergency order under the Quarantine Act. It applies to all travelers arriving in Canada. There is a 14-day self-isolation requirement. There is currently a quarantine plan (off-campus hotel) for anyone arriving until August 31st (those that already have a valid study permit). For Fall 2020, plans are being developed to support those arriving to on-campus residence and visitors (scholars, researchers, visiting students). If you are aware of any international arrivals, please contact goglobal@yorku.ca.

Should I conduct university related travel out of Canada?

The University community’s safety and well-being remains our utmost priority and therefore, based on the Government of Canada’s COVID-19 travel advisory website, we advise all members of the University community to continue to avoid all non-essential travel at this time.

This travel guidance will be re-evaluated when the Government of Canada begins to lift travel advisories.


Will I be informed if someone on campus has COVID-19?

York University provides regular updates of the current status of reported, confirmed COVID-19 at our Better Together website. The numbers reported on our website consists of students, faculty, and University staff, who were present on our campuses prior to their diagnosis.

All disclosures of COVID-19 symptoms, testing results or other personal health information are treated as strictly confidential. When a student, university employee, or faculty member make a self-disclosure to the University, we case manage all disclosures, provide supports and services, and will notify other community members when a possible exposure has taken place under the guidance and direction of public health.

Will York inform the community if COVID is on Campus?

If Toronto Public Health determines that there is a risk to the community, they will work with York directly through the designated department(s).. Community-based communications are recommended to only take place under the guidance of TPH. TPH has urged the university to refrain from independently communicating on cases.
If there is no assessed risk, TPH will not be in communication with York as per their privacy protocols set forth by the Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004.

What if someone discloses, they have caught COVID-19?

If a voluntary disclosure is made, managers are to treat such disclosures strictly confidentially and advise the individual to stay home (or go home) and provide the necessary work accommodation provisions.
Due to the sensitivity of information surrounding such disclosures, managers (including Faculty) are not able to share the disclosure within their work areas. Notifying other employees of self disclosures (or possible exposures) without the direction and guidance of TPH does not fall within York’s scope of responsibility. Doing so can increase confusion, sharing of misinformation, the risk for misguidance, breach of privacy, and decreased levels of trust between York, health authorities and impacted individual(s).
Due to the latency period of COVID-19, it is important for managers to keep track of where employees have worked (i.e. in what buildings/areas on a given date). If an employee tests positive for COVID-19, the local public health unit will ask employers to provide information on where the employee worked as well as the contact information of any other employee who may have been exposed. Employers will track information and Public Health Units will respond.

I live in campus residence and feel sick, what should I do?

Students and residence staff who reside in undergraduate residence buildings have shared washrooms and therefore cannot completely self-isolate without additional services and supports. In these circumstances, York will facilitate the necessary supports and services to meet self-isolation requirements where they arise in such buildings.

The Office of Student Community Relations (OSCR) is the point of contact for any live-in community members seeking to self-disclose COVID-19 or COVID-19-like symptoms. Individuals will also be advised to contact Telehealth or Toronto Public Health for instructions on next steps.

OSCR will provide a personal contact point and support to live-in community members in self-isolation. Access to this information will be limited to OSCR. Any action required to be taken will be provided to respective units on a need-to-know basis (i.e. food services, housing, custodial services, security) while limiting any personal information and health information shared.

I am a student, am I allowed to return to campus?

Students returning for in-person activities will not be permitted to come on campuses without passing the screening checklist on that day and each time they attend a campus or York location. The individual leading/organizing the activity must communicate the requirement to complete the screening checklist prior to any return of in-person activity.

Students attending campus who are not required to participate in in-person activities must complete the screening checklist

Student(s) answering “yes” to any of the questions must not visit our campuses until a later date.  As outlined above, instructions for visitors are posted on York’s website and signage will be posted in various locations across our campuses.

What do I do if I am moving into residence or the apartments?

Students moving into residence are to complete the screening checklist (Appendix A) prior to move-in for any appropriate arrangements to be made prior to entry to campus and/or for appropriate accommodations to be considered to maintain the health and safety of the live-in community members.

Tenants scheduled to moving into the York Apartments will be provided the screening checklist in advance of the commencement of a lease agreement. Letters will be issued by Housing. If lease holders answer “yes” to any of the questions, mutually agreed arrangements will be made to ensure the health and safety of community members.

Back to top